Java Software Engineer
|Job Category||Software Engineering|
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business in the space industry. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Java Software Engineer to join our team developing the next generation of spacecraft ground software and software tools.
As a key member of our team you would be responsible for helping developing elements of our spacecraft ground control software suite but also there are opportunities for working with other aspects of our growing product range supporting simulation, test automation and model-based tooling. The primary implementation language is Java, although a working knowledge of Python and/or other scripting languages would be useful as these are also used in our tooling.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
- good Java skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment;
- development and debugging of high quality code and adherence to best coding practices;
- experience with Java application development;
- broad working experience, with a mixture of front-end and back-end with a variety of tools and technologies; and
- the ability to work in a Linux environment using a range of standard development tools
We’re looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We’re especially looking for someone who:
- enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract and elegant;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions; and
- is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working
Desirable technical skills
Some of the following skills, whilst not essential, would definitely be a bonus:
- knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process;
- experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs;
- experience of model-based and/or component-based software engineering;
- experience with: databases, either RDBMS or NoSQL;
- Apache Maven; and JavaFX; and
- experience with use of version control systems such as Mercurial and git.
Apply NOW for more information!