Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer (Thermal)
|Job Category||Mechanical Engineering|
Engineers work within a project team delivering against customer requirements. Led by a Project Manager along with a Project Engineer the projects are managed within a work package framework.
As a Mechanical Engineer you will be responsible for developing technical solutions for satellite mechanical hardware addressing structural and thermal aspects to satisfy project requirements.
You may have a strong design or analysis background but it’s unlikely you will have been exposed to all the duties and skills listed below. We don’t wish to label you with a prescribed discipline, we want you to develop and grow as an individual as we expose you to new areas of engineering.
- Developing clear understanding of customer requirements and impact on designs to determine sensitivities, resolve technical issues/requirements/design solutions with customers pragmatically and efficiently
- Designing and/or performing analysis (thermal essential with mechanical-structural & dynamic-vibration would be favourable but not essential) to support structures projects
- Lead technical trade off meetings
- Preparing thorough and detailed reports which focus on the verification of requirements
- Writing and maintaining technical documentation such e.g. VCD, DDVP, ICD, technical budgets, assembly and test plans
- Inputting into internal and customer reviews e.g. KO, PDR, CDR, and readiness reviews
- Providing technical support to procurement, assembly and test activities
- Managing configuration of all designs (control of BOM)
- Assisting in the definition of model philosophy
Depending on the demands of the business and your experience you may be working on discrete engineering tasks or as a work package manager or potentially as the Project Engineer for exceptional candidates.
Other responsibilities as Project Engineer include:
- Working with Project Manager and the Product Assurance manager as the core project delivery team
- Having primary design authority and accountability on the project
- Technical leadership of multi-disciplinary project team (Mechanical, Electrical and RF)
- Leading, defining and delivering the verification process including owning verification documents against customer requirements
To be successful in this role you will need:
- It is essential to have a Bachelor’s degree-level qualification in Mechanical engineering. Additional postgraduate (Masters or above) education is preferred, especially if relevant to space engineering.
- Familiarity with one or more of the following: mechanical, thermal, mechanism, electrical systems, systems engineering
- Experience with one or more of the following: concept design, gears, motors and mechanisms, static, thermal, thermo-elastic and random vibration analyses
- The ability to quickly understand new technical concepts is essential
- Demonstrable experience of working within multi-disciplined team
- Proven experience to adhere to and enforce deadlines and control project costs
- Experience in a similar role within a regulated industry (Space, Nuclear, Aerospace, Automotive) typically:
- 5 to 15 years (for a senior Engineer)
- 15+ years (for a principal Engineer)
- It would be advantageous if at least 1-2 of these years were in the Space Industry with familiarity of ECSS standards If not, you should have a strong desire to work in the space industry.
- Experience with software packages for mechanical design and/or structural analysis, thermal analysis and mathematical modelling (e.g. SW professional, FEMAP, NASTRAN, ADAMS, Matlab etc)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software
You will also need:
- To demonstrate a clear and logical “common sense” approach to problem solving
- Excellent English, with the ability to clearly articulate technical points in writing and verbally, along with superb presentation skills
- The ability to work both independently and in teams as required by the individual task
- Effective interpersonal skills, to build good relationships
- Proven ability to work within defined timescales to meet programme milestones and on several projects at any one time
- To be motivated by technical challenges, meeting deadlines, problem solving and practical implementation of new ideas
- A willingness to learn and share knowledge with other members of the team
Please apply NOW for more information!